We started with 170 suggested songs, and we are down to our final 16 (and will be adding two more to make it 18). Here is what the process has looked like:
1. We started with teachers suggesting songs through most of 2019.
2. We removed suggested songs that had been part of past Locuras.
3. A committee of teachers reviewed the songs and narrowed that list down to 60. The removed songs with inappropriate lyrics and scored the songs on a rubric. The rubric included categories in regards to song relevancy, if students would connect with it, cultural and female representation, etc.
4. Teachers on Facebook chose 36 songs to move on for a final teacher vote.
5. Teachers voted again for 16 songs to advance. Based on those votes, I chose 16 songs.
Those songs are:
"Un Año, Sebastian Yatra, Reik
"No Hay Nadie Más", Sebastian Yatra,
"Si Tú La Ves", Nicky Jam, Daddy Yankee
"Llegaste Tú", CNCO, Prince Royce,
"100 Años", Prince Royce, Ha-Ash
"La Plata", Juanes, Lalo Ebratt
"No Se Va", Morat
"Cuando Nadie Ve", Morat
"Un Poquito", Carlos Vives, Diego Torres
"Swing", Danny Ocean
"Me Equivoqué", Ventino
"Me Niego", Reik, Ozuna, Wisin
"Tutu", Pedro Capo, Camilo
"Somos Los Prietos", ChocQuibTown
"La Libertad", Alvaro Soler
"De Ellos Aprendí", David Rees
6. Students will choose 2 additional songs early next week to add to our field of 16. The additional songs in consideration are:
-"Aloha", Bomba Estereo, Carlos Sadness
-"Kitipun", Juan Luis Guerra
-"Por Fin Te Encontré", Cali Y Dandee
-"Aleluya", Reik, Manuel Torizo
Subscribe for $1.99/month and receive access to an ever growing collection of more than 40 online lessons, and 40+ original songs, and Spanish resources by topic!
About Señor Ashby:
I am a K-12 Spanish educator specializing in creativity. I am passionate about learning through technology, music, and innovation. I have taught Spanish to K-12, and am a two time finalist for online teacher of the year (2011, 2014). l live in West Michigan with my wife and our four energetic boys!